Cooking with @the.jam.life
It is always exciting when you figure out that one of your friends is just as food and fitness-obsessed as you (and also likes to post about it on Instagram). I want to introduce Jamie (@the_jam_life): close friend, aspiring chef, and workout-obsessed. Recently, Jamie started an Instagram account that not only provides daily workout motivation but also showcases all the delicious food that she makes--and it is all vegan. In keeping with New Year’s resolutions, we decided to team up to share four different, completely vegan recipes to help you reset, reboot, or whip up just to try. Okay, I know what you’re thinking...Vegan what ahh?!
I’ll admit that a few summers ago, I tried being Vegan for three weeks and it was so hard. However, Jamie’s recipes literally changed my opinion of Vegan-ism completely--not only because they all left me surprisingly full but also with a ton of energy. Having been traveling a lot the past month, I have felt a little off track with my normal eating habits. Not being able to cook while away from home always makes me feel a bit gross and out of sorts, so I thought I would try something new to kind-of get back in the swing of things--and this is where Jamie’s recipes come in. I never like to compromise being healthy for good food, or vice versa, and there is really no need to. So, if you’ve been feeling like I have--a little off track-scroll down for four recipes (they cover breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack) that will help you restart and feel amazing.
FOR BREAKFAST: SPICED APPLE OATS
½ steel cut oats
1 cup of plant milk (I used almond)
1tsp blackstrap molasses
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ginger
1. Dice the apple and add to a saucepan with the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a splash of water.
2. Allow to cook for 10 minutes, or until soft.
3. Add the oats, milk and molasses. Bring to a boil.
4. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Serve in a bowl with your fave toppings. I used flaked coconut, almonds, apple slices and fresh raspberries.
FOR LUNCH: ROASTED WINTER VEGGIE & GARBANZO BEAN SALAD
Ingredients (Roasted Veggies)
½ butternut squash
2 large carrots
1tsp garlic salt
1tsp olive oil
1tsp pepper flakes
½ tsp black pepper
To Make (Roasted Veggies)
1. Preheat oven to 400 fahrenheit.
2. Peel and cube all of your veggies to a similar size.
3. Place the veggies on a tinfoil lined baking sheet and pour on the oil.
4. Sprinkle the spices and mix to coat evenly.
5. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, turning once in between to ensure even baking.
Ingredients (Garbanzo Beans)
1 can garbanzo beans
2tsp melted coconut oil
1tsp curry powder
1tsp sea salt
1tsp smoked paprika
To Make (Garbanzo Beans)
1. Preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit
2. Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans.
3. Spread on a tin-foil lined baking sheet and pour on the oil.
4. Sprinkle with the spices and mix so each bean is evenly coated.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, shake to ensure even cooking and let bake for another 10 minutes.
Ingredients for Final Assembly
1 head of romaine lettuce (rinse, dry and cut into manageable pieces)
1 avocado (cubed)
1 tsp red chili flakes
Place the veggies and garbanzo beans into a large bowl with the romaine. Top the salad with the avocado and the chilli flakes. All done!
FOR DINNER: THREE BEAN SWEET POTATO CHILLI
15oz can of black beans
15oz can of cannellini beans
15oz can of red kidney beans
150z can crushed tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1 large sweet potato
1T smoked paprika
1T chilli powder
1T ground cumin
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp olive oil
1. Place a large stock pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium
2. Dice the onion and sautee with the oil for 5 minutes until translucent
3. Mince the garlic and add to the pot
4. Stir in all the spices and cook until fragrant
5. Chop the sweet potato into ½ inch pieces and add to the pot
6. Drain and rinse the beans and add to the pot
7. Pour the crushed tomatoes in and stir to combine
8. Lower the heat to a simmer and place the lid on the pot
9. Allow to cook for 35 minutes until the chilli has thickened
Serve either with rice or quinoa for a hearterier meal or some simple romaine leaves for a crunchy texture
TO SNACK/FOR DESSERT: RAW DARK CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY TRUFFLES
1 cup mejool dates
¼ tsp vanilla
¼ ground almonds
¼ flaked coconut
2T raw cocao powder
1 cup fresh raspberries
⅓ cup almonds (for topping)
¼ cup desiccated coconut (for topping)
1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor (besides the whole almonds)
2. Blitz until a smooth dough has formed
3. On a plate, pour out the dessicated coconut ready to coat the balls
4. Use a table spoon measure to spoon out balls of the mixture
5. Roll a tablespoon of the mixture into a ball with your hands
6. Roll in the coconut to coat the surface
7. Place on a plate and top with an almond
8. Repeat the rolling and topping process with the rest of the mixture
9. Chill for 20 minutes to allow the balls to set before serving
I hope you enjoy all of these recipes. Want to see more? Comment below! For more from Jamie, follow her on Instagram.